Business Burglary Prevention:
Businesses can reduce their vulnerability to crime in many ways. Security measures like updated locks, lighting, and alarms can make any establishment a less attractive target for criminals. Remember that most criminals are opportunists, and the goal of a security survey is to reduce the opportunity. These methods include, but are not limited to:
- Make sure doors and door frames are of adequate construction, commercial grade locks are installed, functioning properly and have edge guards to prevent prying.
- Exposed hinges require non-removable pins.
- Protect accessible windows with locks, security films, grilles or bars if possible.
- Climbing aids, such as ladders, should be locked up or removed.
- Test your alarm with your provider and update emergency contact lists.
- Make sure all cameras are functioning, are well-positioned and views are unobstructed.
- Change the combination of any safes, especially if employees have moved on.
- Roof openings (skylights, ventilators) should be secured and alarmed.
- Cash registers should be empty and left open to prevent unnecessary damage.