Outdoor Burning

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Outdoor burning is regulated by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) and the Cedar Park Fire Department. Any outdoor burning must be approved by the Cedar Park Fire Marshal and is only allowed outside city limits, except in areas zoned Rural Agricultural (RA) or under special circumstances. Permission for burning may be obtained by contacting the Fire Marshal’s Office at (512) 401-5200 Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The fee for an open burn permit is $35.

Parts of the ETJ which fall into Emergency Services Districts (ESDs) should consult with their respective ESDs as to whether permits are required. Residents not sure in which jurisdiction their property is located may contact the Cedar Park Fire Marshal. All burn requests are evaluated on a case-by-case basis, and the privilege to burn may be revoked any time at the discretion of the Fire Marshal.

Basic conditions for permitted burning are as follows:
  • Burning must be on the property, not in any public road, alley, gutter, street, or right-of-way.
  • A competent person must be in attendance at all times until the fire is extinguished.
  • Some means of extinguishing the fire must be present - usually a charged water hose.
  • Should your burning create a public nuisance or complaints, the burning must cease.
  • Should your fire burn the property of another, you are responsible for all damages as well as the cost of extinguishing the fire.
  • Open fires must be at least 50 feet from any structure. Fires in an approved container, such as a metal drum, shall be no closer than 15 feet to any structure.
  • The burning of building materials, tires, shingles, household rubbish and flammable liquids is strictly prohibited.

For complete burn ban information, click here