Thanksgiving Holiday Travel Safety
CPPD: Take an Extra Helping of Safety This Thanksgiving
As Thanksgiving motorists flock to Texas roads to celebrate with friends and family, The Cedar Park Police Department will ramp up enforcement efforts to keep our roads safe from impaired and distracted drivers.
Thanksgiving is ordinarily one of the most hectic travel periods of the year, and our officers are urging motorists to remain safety-minded as they travel throughout the state. During the 2018 Thanksgiving holiday, our officers pulled over more than 350 drivers for speeding and intersection violations and arrested 6 drivers for DWI.
From Friday, Nov. 22 through Saturday, Nov. 30, 2019 Cedar Park officers will be looking for drivers who are speeding, violating intersection and seat belt laws and driving distracted or impaired. This effort is part of Cedar Park’s goal to reduce traffic accidents during the holiday travels.
Drivers are encouraged to:
- Plan ahead
- Check for traffic updates prior to beginning a trip
- Limit distractions and do NOT text and drive
- Buckle up everyone in the vehicle – it’s the law
- Obey speed limits
- Don’t drive fatigued – allow plenty of time to reach your destination.
- Designate a sober driver or take advantage of the many safe ways to get home after consuming alcohol.
Even one empty seat at the table for Thanksgiving is too many.