What do I do if I have a leak?

First, view Detecting a Water Leak (PDF).

If there is a leak on your property, please call a professional plumber to locate and correct the problem. If the leak was under the ground, behind the wall, or under a slab, you may be eligible for a leak credit. You must submit in writing where you had the leak and copy of the plumber's invoice within 6 months of the repair date.

If you notice a leak that is not on your property, please call the Service Center at 512-401-5550.

Show All Answers

1. What do I need to do to start water service?
2. How do I stop service?
3. How much notice do I need to give before starting/stopping services?
4. Who do I contact for garbage services?
5. Who do I call if my garbage was not collected?
6. How is my sewer (wastewater) calculated?
7. What do I do if I have a leak?
8. When is my deposit refunded?
9. How can I pay my bill?
10. How is my rate calculated?