Annual Household Hazardous Waste Free Cleanup coming up
The City of Cedar Park and Williamson County are hosting the annual Household Hazardous Waste Free Cleanup on Saturday, April 7, 2018, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The event, which draws large crowds, will be conveniently located at LISD’s Gupton Stadium, and 200 Gupton Way in Cedar Park.
This free cleanup event is open to anyone, regardless of where they live. Participants may bring a variety of items that may not be disposed with regular trash and recycling collections, including:
- Gently used household items and clothing for Goodwill
- Aluminum and other metals
- Used motor oil and filters, antifreeze and batteries
- Transmission and brake fluid
- Paint (no more than 5 gallons per vehicle)
- Lighter fluid, solvents, varnish and acids
- Pool chemicals
- Auto tires (car and light trucks up to 24” – wheels/rims removed, limit 5 per vehicle)
- Lawn and garden chemicals, herbicides and pesticides
- Cleaning products, such as polish, oven cleaner and drain opener
- Household products labeled “caution”, “warning” or “poison”
- Brush for recycling
- Electronics: computers, printers, cell phones, televisions, etc.
Items which are not accepted include:
- Agriculture chemicals
- Containers larger than 5 gallons
- Medical and pharmaceutical items
- Tires with wheels/rims attached
- Explosives, fireworks or ammunition
- Asbestos-containing materials
- Industrial , commercial or business waste
- Radioactive materials (smoke alarms)
- Propane cylinders of any kind
- Compressed gases
- Refrigerators or air conditioning units
Participants are asked to bring products in original containers, of possible, and not to mix or consolidate products. In order to move through the line more efficiently, participants should separate, group and label their items, and seal containers to prevent leaking. Organizers recommend hauling containers in the trunk or back of a vehicle, away from passengers and ask that participants please allow volunteers help unload items. Participants may go through the line one time, and must be in a vehicle. No walkups, trailers longer than 16 feet, contractors or business refuse will be accepted, in order to better accommodate the large turnout.
Participants should expect wait times of one to two hours, so it is recommended that if you bring younger children or senior adults that you also bring snacks and drinks. With the anticipation of traffic delays, those not participating in the Household Hazardous Waste Collection may want to avoid the area of Gupton Way and East Park Street prior to the event beginning at about 8 a.m., until after it concludes at 2.
Along with Williamson County and the City of Cedar Park, the following businesses and organizations will be assisting with the Annual Household Hazardous Waste Free Cleanup: Waste Management, Goodwill Central Texas, PSC, Austin Wood Recycling, Cedar Park Disposal, Firestone Complete Auto Care, Hudgins Oil and Leander Independent School District.